What is the antonym of “explicitness”?
The antonyms of explicitness are ambiguity and vagueness. These words convey the opposite meaning of clarity and precision. They imply a lack of specificity, clearness, or directness.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The quality of being open to more than one interpretation; inexactness.
The politician's speech was full of ambiguity, making it hard to understand his stance on the issue.
The quality of being unclear, imprecise, or uncertain.
The instructions were written with such vagueness that nobody knew what to do.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Ambiguity refers to a situation where something can be interpreted in more than one way.
- 2Vagueness refers to a situation where something is not clear or precise.
Good things to know
- 1Academic Writing: Use explicitness to convey ideas clearly and precisely in academic papers.
- 2Professional Communication: Avoid ambiguity and vagueness in professional emails, reports, and presentations to avoid misunderstandings.
- 3Creative Writing: Use ambiguity and vagueness to create suspense, mystery, and intrigue in creative writing.
The antonyms of explicitness are ambiguity and vagueness. While ambiguity refers to multiple interpretations, vagueness refers to a lack of clarity. Use explicitness in academic writing and professional communication to convey ideas clearly and precisely, while using ambiguity and vagueness in creative writing to create suspense and intrigue.