What is the antonym of “expostulate”?
The antonyms of expostulate are agree and acquiesce. The antonyms agree and acquiesce convey a positive or consenting attitude. It implies a willingness to comply, consent, or approve.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To have the same opinion, be in harmony or conformity with someone or something.
I agree with your proposal and think it's a great idea.
To accept or comply with something without protest, even if one does not fully agree with it.
After much persuasion, he finally acquiesced to their demands and signed the contract.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Agree is an active verb that describes a state of harmony or conformity with someone or something.
- 2Acquiesce is a passive verb that describes a state of acceptance or compliance with something, even if one does not fully agree with it.
Good things to know
- 1Negotiations: Use agree and acquiesce to express consent or approval in negotiations.
- 2Decision-making: Incorporate antonyms in discussions to reach a consensus or agreement.
- 3Debate: Utilize these antonyms in debates to express opposing views and arguments.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Agree conveys a state of harmony or conformity, while acquiesce denotes a state of acceptance or compliance. Use these words in negotiations, decision-making, and debates to express consent, reach a consensus, or express opposing views and arguments.