Definitions and Examples of shortening, reducing, contracting
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The act of making something shorter in length or duration.
The shortening of the meeting time allowed us to finish earlier than expected.
To make something smaller or less in size, amount, or degree.
Eating healthy and exercising regularly can help in reducing the risk of heart disease.
To become smaller or narrower; to reduce in size or extent.
The company is contracting its operations due to the economic downturn.
Key Differences: shortening vs reducing vs contracting
- 1Shortening refers to making something shorter in length or duration.
- 2Reducing means making something smaller or less in size, amount, or degree.
- 3Contracting implies becoming smaller or narrower.
Effective Usage of shortening, reducing, contracting
- 1In Mathematics: Use these antonyms when solving problems related to measurement, geometry, and algebra.
- 2In Science: Incorporate these antonyms when discussing physical properties, chemical reactions, and biological processes.
- 3In Business: Utilize these antonyms when talking about financial statements, market trends, and business strategies.
The antonyms of extending are shortening, reducing, and contracting. These words have distinct meanings and can be used in various contexts such as mathematics, science, and business. Use them to communicate effectively and convey the opposite meaning of making something longer or bigger.