What is the antonym of “extravagance”?
The antonyms of extravagance are moderation, restraint, and frugality. These antonyms describe the opposite of extravagance, which is the act of spending more than necessary or being wasteful.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The quality of avoiding extremes in behavior or expression; the state of being reasonable and not excessive.
He advised his friend to practice moderation when it comes to eating sweets.
The act of holding back or controlling oneself; the quality of being moderate or self-restrained.
She showed restraint by not buying the expensive dress even though she really liked it.
The quality of being economical or thrifty; the act of avoiding waste or unnecessary expenses.
His frugality allowed him to save money for his future plans.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Moderation refers to avoiding extremes and finding a balance in behavior or expression.
- 2Restraint is the act of holding back or controlling oneself.
- 3Frugality is the quality of being economical and avoiding waste or unnecessary expenses.
Good things to know
- 1Personal Finance: Use these antonyms to describe different approaches to spending and saving money.
- 2Healthy Lifestyle: Incorporate these antonyms to describe different approaches to eating, exercising, and other habits.
- 3Business and Management: Utilize these antonyms to describe different approaches to decision-making, resource allocation, and risk-taking.