What is the antonym of “extrema”?
The antonyms of extrema are average and mean. The antonyms average and mean convey a sense of normality or mediocrity. They imply a lack of deviation from the norm or standard.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Typical or ordinary; not exceptional or outstanding.
His grades were average, neither too high nor too low.
Lacking distinction or excellence; mediocre.
The food was mean, nothing special or noteworthy.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Average refers to a typical or ordinary value that is calculated by adding up a set of numbers and dividing by the total number of values.
- 2Mean refers to a value that represents the middle of a set of numbers, obtained by arranging the values in order and selecting the one that falls in the middle.
Good things to know
- 1Mathematics: Use average and mean to describe statistical measures.
- 2Everyday Conversation: Use average and mean to describe things that are not exceptional or outstanding.
- 3Writing: Utilize these antonyms to create contrast and emphasize differences between things.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Average refers to a typical or ordinary value, while mean refers to a value that represents the middle of a set of numbers. Use these words in mathematics to describe statistical measures, in everyday conversation to describe things that are not exceptional, and in writing to create contrast and emphasize differences between things.