What is the antonym of “facedown”?
The antonyms of facedown are face up and victorious. The antonym face up refers to the opposite direction of facing down, while victorious implies winning or succeeding in a competition or conflict.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
With the face or front part upward.
He turned the card face up to reveal its value.
Having won a victory; triumphant.
The team was victorious after a hard-fought game.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Face up is a relational antonym that describes the opposite direction of facing down.
- 2Victorious is a complementary antonym that implies winning or succeeding in a competition or conflict.
Good things to know
- 1Directional Instructions: Use face up to give instructions on how to position an object or body part.
- 2Sports and Games: Use victorious to describe a team or individual who has won a game or competition.
- 3Metaphorical Usage: Use these antonyms to create metaphors in writing or speech, such as 'face up to your fears' or 'facedown by defeat.'
The antonyms of facedown are face up and victorious. Use face up for directional instructions and victorious to describe winning or succeeding in a competition or conflict. These antonyms can also be used metaphorically to create powerful imagery in writing or speech.