What is the antonym of “federate”?
The antonyms of federate are separate, disband, and dissolve. These words convey the opposite meaning of federate, which means to unite or bring together into a federal system.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To divide or disconnect something into distinct parts.
The company decided to separate its marketing and sales departments to improve efficiency.
To break up or dissolve a group or organization.
After the mission was completed, the team decided to disband and go their separate ways.
To break down or disintegrate into smaller parts; to end or terminate something.
The board of directors voted to dissolve the company due to financial difficulties.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Separate implies a physical or conceptual division of something into distinct parts.
- 2Disband refers to the breaking up of a group or organization, often after completing a task or mission.
- 3Dissolve conveys the idea of something breaking down or coming to an end, often due to external factors.
Good things to know
- 1Politics: Use federate to describe the process of uniting states or regions into a federal system, and use separate to describe the opposite process.
- 2Military: Use disband to describe the process of breaking up a military unit or organization, and use federate to describe the process of forming a coalition or alliance.
- 3Business: Use dissolve to describe the process of ending a business or partnership, and use federate to describe the process of merging or consolidating companies.
The antonyms of federate are separate, disband, and dissolve. Use separate to describe a physical or conceptual division, disband to describe the breaking up of a group or organization, and dissolve to describe the end or termination of something. These words can be used in various contexts such as politics, military, and business to convey opposite meanings.