What is the antonym of “flippantly”?
The antonyms of flippantly are seriously and respectfully. The antonyms seriously and respectfully convey a more formal and respectful tone, implying a serious or sincere attitude towards the subject.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
In a manner that is not joking or lighthearted; with sincerity or gravity.
He spoke seriously about the importance of education and its impact on society.
In a manner that shows deference or esteem; with politeness or courtesy.
She addressed the judge respectfully and waited for his response.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Seriously implies a sincere or grave attitude towards the subject, while flippantly conveys a casual or humorous tone.
- 2Respectfully suggests a polite or courteous attitude towards the subject, while flippantly implies a lack of respect or seriousness.
Good things to know
- 1Formal Writing: Use seriously and respectfully in formal writing such as academic papers, business letters, or legal documents.
- 2Professional Communication: Incorporate these antonyms in professional communication to convey a respectful and serious tone.
- 3Interviews: Use seriously and respectfully in job interviews to demonstrate professionalism and respect towards the interviewer.
The antonyms of flippantly are seriously and respectfully. Use seriously to convey a sincere or grave attitude towards the subject and respectfully to show deference or esteem. These antonyms are useful in formal writing, professional communication, and job interviews.