What is the antonym of “flourishing”?
The antonyms of flourishing are struggling, failing, and declining. These words describe the opposite of thriving or prospering. They imply a lack of success, growth, or progress.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Experiencing difficulty or hardship in achieving something.
The company was struggling to keep up with its competitors due to poor management.
Not succeeding in achieving a goal or objective.
Despite his best efforts, he was failing to meet the sales targets set by his boss.
Becoming weaker, less successful, or less popular over time.
The town's population was declining due to lack of job opportunities and high living costs.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Struggling implies an ongoing effort to overcome difficulties or obstacles.
- 2Failing suggests a lack of success in achieving a specific goal or objective.
- 3Declining describes a gradual decrease in success, popularity, or strength.
Good things to know
- 1Business: Use these antonyms to describe the performance of companies, industries, or economies.
- 2Education: Incorporate these antonyms to describe academic performance or progress.
- 3Personal Development: Utilize these antonyms to describe personal growth, achievements, or setbacks.