What is the antonym of “fluke”?
The antonyms of fluke are misfortune and bad luck. The antonyms misfortune and bad luck convey a negative or unlucky event. It implies an unfortunate occurrence or an unfavorable outcome.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
An unlucky or adverse event, often resulting in loss or hardship.
He suffered a great misfortune when his house burned down.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Misfortune is a more serious term that describes an unlucky event that often results in loss or hardship.
- 2Bad luck is a more general term that describes an unfortunate event or circumstance.
Good things to know
- 1Express Sympathy: Use misfortune and bad luck to express sympathy for someone who has experienced an unfortunate event.
- 2Discuss Probability: Use fluke and bad luck to discuss probability and the likelihood of an event occurring.
- 3Tell Stories: Use these antonyms in narratives to create tension and suspense.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Misfortune conveys a more serious and unfortunate event, while bad luck is a more general term. Use these words to express sympathy, discuss probability, and create tension in storytelling.