What is the antonym of “forbad”?
The antonyms of forbid are allow, permit, and authorize. These words convey the opposite meaning of forbid, which is to give permission or grant access to something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To give permission for something to happen or be done.
My parents allowed me to go to the party as long as I came home before midnight.
To give official authorization or approval for something to happen or be done.
The city council permitted the construction of a new shopping mall in the downtown area.
To give official permission or power to do something.
Only the manager has the authority to authorize overtime pay for employees.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Allow is a general term that means to give permission for something to happen or be done.
- 2Permit is a more official term that implies granting authorization or approval for something to happen or be done.
- 3Authorize is the most formal term that implies giving official permission or power to do something.
Good things to know
- 1Instructing: Use allow, permit, and authorize to explain what is allowed or not allowed in a particular situation.
- 2Negotiating: Incorporate these antonyms in negotiations to discuss terms and conditions.
- 3Legal Documents: Utilize these antonyms in legal documents to specify what is permitted or authorized.
The antonyms of forbid are allow, permit, and authorize. Use these words to instruct, negotiate, and specify what is permitted or authorized in various situations.