What is the antonym of “forfending”?
The antonyms of forfending are allow and permit. The antonyms allow and permit convey the opposite meaning of forfending, which is to give permission or approval for something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To give permission or consent for something to happen.
The teacher will allow students to use a calculator during the exam.
To give authorization or approval for something to be done.
The city council will permit the construction of a new shopping mall.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Allow is a more general term that implies giving permission or consent for something to happen.
- 2Permit is a more formal term that implies giving authorization or approval for something to be done.
Good things to know
- 1In Formal Settings: Use permit in official documents, contracts, or legal contexts to indicate authorized actions.
- 2In Everyday Conversations: Use allow to give permission or consent for everyday activities.
- 3In Writing: Use allow and permit interchangeably in writing, depending on the context and tone of the text.
The antonyms allow and permit convey the opposite meaning of forfending, which is to give permission or approval for something. While allow is a more general term, permit is a more formal term used in official documents or legal contexts. Use these words in different settings to indicate authorized actions or give permission for everyday activities.