What is the antonym of “formalism”?
The antonym of formalism are informality, casualness, and unconventionality. These antonyms describe a lack of strict adherence to rules, customs, or traditions.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The quality of being relaxed, casual, or not formal.
The party had an atmosphere of informality that made everyone feel comfortable.
The quality of being relaxed, informal, or nonchalant.
His casualness in the interview made him seem unprepared.
The quality of being different from what is usual, traditional, or expected.
Her unconventionality in fashion made her stand out from the crowd.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Informality suggests a relaxed and casual atmosphere, while formalism implies strict adherence to rules and customs.
- 2Casualness suggests a nonchalant attitude, while formalism implies a serious and structured approach.
- 3Unconventionality suggests a departure from traditional or expected norms, while formalism implies adherence to established rules and practices.
Good things to know
- 1Social Settings: Use informality and casualness to describe relaxed and comfortable social situations.
- 2Professional Settings: Use formalism to describe a structured and rule-bound work environment.
- 3Creative Settings: Use unconventionality to describe innovative and non-traditional approaches to art, design, or writing.
The antonyms of formalism are informality, casualness, and unconventionality. Use these words to describe social, professional, and creative settings. Informality and casualness suggest a relaxed and nonchalant atmosphere, while unconventionality suggests a departure from traditional norms. Formalism implies strict adherence to rules and practices.