What is the antonym of “framed”?
The antonyms of framed are frameless, unframed, and exonerated. The antonyms frameless and unframed describe something that lacks a frame, while exonerated means to be cleared of blame or suspicion.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Without a frame or border.
The painting looked better frameless than with a frame.
Not enclosed or bordered by a frame.
The photograph was left unframed because the owner couldn't decide on a suitable frame.
To be declared not guilty or free from blame.
After a thorough investigation, the suspect was exonerated of all charges.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Frameless and unframed both refer to something that lacks a frame, but frameless is more commonly used for artwork or mirrors, while unframed can be used for any object that is not enclosed by a frame.
- 2Exonerated is a relational antonym that describes being cleared of blame or suspicion, while frameless and unframed are complementary antonyms that describe the absence of a frame.
Good things to know
- 1Art: Use frameless and unframed to describe artwork that lacks a frame.
- 2Legal: Use exonerated to describe someone who has been cleared of blame or suspicion in a legal context.
- 3Framing: Use frameless and unframed when discussing framing options for artwork or photographs.