What is the antonym of “fraternal”?
The antonym of fraternal are hostile, unfriendly, and sisterly. The antonyms hostile and unfriendly convey a negative or aggressive attitude, while sisterly implies a friendly and supportive relationship between women.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Showing or feeling opposition or aggression towards someone or something.
The two countries have been in a hostile relationship for years.
Not kind or pleasant to be with; not showing friendship or support.
The new neighbor was unfriendly and never greeted anyone.
Having the qualities of a sister; friendly, supportive, and caring.
She had a sisterly bond with her best friend and they shared everything.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Hostile implies an aggressive and negative attitude towards someone or something.
- 2Unfriendly describes a lack of kindness or warmth towards others.
- 3Sisterly implies a friendly and supportive relationship between women.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use hostile and unfriendly to describe negative attitudes or behaviors.
- 2Show Empathy: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate understanding.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create distinct characters and relationships.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Hostile conveys aggression, unfriendly denotes a lack of kindness, and sisterly refers to a friendly and supportive relationship between women. Use these words to enhance communication, show empathy in conversations, and enrich writing by creating distinct characters and relationships.