What is the antonym of “frighten”?
The antonyms of frighten are reassure, comfort, and calm. The antonyms reassure, comfort, and calm convey a positive emotional state. It implies a feeling of safety, security, and peace.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To give someone confidence or comfort by removing doubts or fears.
The doctor tried to reassure the patient that the surgery would be successful.
To provide physical or emotional relief from pain, stress, or grief.
She tried to comfort her friend who had lost her pet dog.
Not showing or feeling nervousness, anger, or other strong emotions.
The sound of the ocean waves helped him feel calm and relaxed.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Reassure is a verb that describes an action of giving someone confidence or comfort by removing doubts or fears.
- 2Comfort is a verb that describes an action of providing physical or emotional relief from pain, stress, or grief.
- 3Calm is an adjective that describes a state of not showing or feeling nervousness, anger, or other strong emotions.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use reassure, comfort, and calm to express positive emotions effectively.
- 2Show Empathy: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate understanding.
- 3Enrich Storytelling: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create relatable characters and compelling stories.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Reassure conveys confidence, comfort denotes relief, and calm refers to a state of tranquility. Use these words to enhance communication, show empathy in conversations, and enrich storytelling by creating relatable characters and compelling narratives.