What is the antonym of “gawsy”?
The word gawsy is not commonly used in English, but its antonyms are modest, simple, and unassuming. These words describe a person who is humble, unpretentious, and not showy.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not excessively showy or proud; having a humble opinion of oneself.
She was a modest person who never bragged about her achievements.
Not complicated or elaborate; easy to understand or do.
He preferred a simple lifestyle without many possessions.
Not pretentious or arrogant; modest and humble.
Despite his wealth, he remained unassuming and treated everyone with kindness.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Modest implies a lack of excessive pride or showiness.
- 2Simple suggests a preference for uncomplicated things or ideas.
- 3Unassuming describes a person who is modest and humble, without pretension or arrogance.
Good things to know
- 1Daily Conversation: Use these antonyms to describe people who are humble and unpretentious.
- 2Job Interviews: Incorporate these words to describe your personality traits or work style.
- 3Writing: Utilize these antonyms to create characters who are relatable and down-to-earth.