What is the antonym of “gayety”?
The antonyms of gayety are sadness and gloominess. The antonyms sadness and gloominess convey a negative emotional state. It implies a lack of happiness, cheerfulness, or liveliness.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The state of feeling sorrowful or unhappy.
She couldn't hide her sadness when she heard the news.
The state of being dark, dull, or depressing.
The gloominess of the weather made her feel down.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Sadness is a general term that describes a feeling of sorrow or unhappiness.
- 2Gloominess is a more specific term that describes a feeling of darkness or depression.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use sadness and gloominess to express emotions effectively.
- 2Show Empathy: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate understanding.
- 3Enrich Storytelling: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create relatable characters and compelling stories.