What is the antonym of “generate”?
The antonyms of generate are destroy, eliminate, and abolish. The antonyms convey the opposite meaning of generate, which means to produce or create something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To cause something to cease to exist or be completely ruined.
The hurricane destroyed many homes and buildings along the coast.
To remove or get rid of something completely.
The company decided to eliminate some of its products that were not selling well.
To officially put an end to something, such as a law or system.
The government decided to abolish the death penalty in the country.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Destroy implies complete ruin or annihilation of something.
- 2Eliminate suggests the removal or getting rid of something completely.
- 3Abolish refers to the official ending of something, such as a law or system.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and express yourself more precisely.
- 2Improve Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in your writing to add depth and variety to your language.
- 3Enrich Reading: Look for these antonyms in your reading materials to better understand their meanings and usage.