What is the antonym of “genial”?
The antonyms of genial are unfriendly, hostile, and cold. These words convey a negative or unfriendly attitude towards others. They imply a lack of warmth, kindness, or friendliness.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not friendly or sociable; aloof or distant in manner.
The new neighbor was unfriendly and rarely spoke to anyone in the building.
Showing or feeling opposition or dislike; unfriendly or aggressive.
The team faced a hostile crowd during their away game and had to play under difficult conditions.
Lacking affection or warmth in manner; unfriendly or unemotional.
Her boss's cold demeanor made it hard for her to approach him with any concerns.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unfriendly implies a lack of sociability or warmth in manner.
- 2Hostile implies a strong opposition or aggression towards others.
- 3Cold implies a lack of affection or emotional warmth in manner.
Good things to know
- 1Social Interactions: Use these antonyms to describe people's attitudes towards others in social situations.
- 2Describing Characters: Incorporate these antonyms in narratives to create distinct and believable characters.
- 3Vocabulary Building: Learn and practice using these antonyms to expand your vocabulary.
The antonyms of genial are unfriendly, hostile, and cold. These words describe negative attitudes towards others, implying a lack of warmth, kindness, or friendliness. Use these antonyms to describe people's attitudes in social situations, create distinct characters in narratives, and expand your vocabulary.