What is the antonym of “gleam”?
The antonyms of gleam are dullness and darkness. The antonyms dullness and darkness convey the opposite of brightness and shine. It implies a lack of light, luster, or brilliance.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lack of brightness, shine, or luster.
The dullness of the sky indicated that it was going to rain soon.
The absence or lack of light; the opposite of brightness.
The darkness of the night made it hard to see anything clearly.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Dullness refers to a lack of shine or luster, while darkness refers to the absence of light.
- 2Dullness is a gradable antonym, meaning it can be used in degrees, while darkness is a complementary antonym, meaning it is the complete opposite of gleam.
Good things to know
- 1Describing Objects: Use dullness to describe objects that lack shine or luster, such as a dull knife or a faded painting.
- 2Describing Environments: Use darkness to describe environments that lack light, such as a dark alley or a windowless room.
- 3Expressing Emotions: Use these antonyms to express emotions effectively, such as feeling dull or uninspired versus feeling bright and energetic.
The antonyms of gleam are dullness and darkness. Use dullness to describe objects that lack shine or luster, and darkness to describe environments that lack light. Remember that dullness is a gradable antonym, while darkness is a complementary antonym. Use these antonyms to express emotions effectively and enrich your vocabulary.