What is the antonym of “glimmer”?
The antonyms of glimmer are extinguish and darkness. The antonym extinguish means to put out or stop something from burning or shining, while darkness refers to the absence of light.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To put out a fire, light, or flame; to stop something from burning or shining.
He used a fire extinguisher to extinguish the flames before they could spread.
The absence of light; the state of being dark.
The room was pitch black, and she couldn't see anything in the darkness.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Extinguish is an action that involves putting out a fire or stopping something from burning or shining, while darkness is a state of being without light.
- 2Extinguish is a verb, while darkness is a noun.
Good things to know
- 1Fire Safety: Use extinguish when talking about putting out fires.
- 2Lighting: Use darkness to describe the absence of light.
- 3Metaphors: Incorporate these antonyms in metaphors to create vivid imagery and convey deeper meanings.
The antonyms of glimmer are extinguish and darkness. Use extinguish to talk about putting out fires or stopping something from burning or shining. Use darkness to describe the absence of light. These antonyms can be used in contexts related to fire safety, lighting, and metaphors.