What is the antonym of “glimmering”?
The antonyms of glimmering are dullness, darkness, and obscureness. These antonyms convey the opposite meaning of glimmering, which is a faint or wavering light.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lack of brightness or intensity; not shiny or reflective.
The dullness of the paint made the room look gloomy and uninviting.
The absence of light; the state of being dark.
The darkness of the night made it difficult to see the road ahead.
The quality of being unclear, vague, or hard to understand.
The obscureness of the instructions made it hard for me to assemble the furniture.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Dullness refers to a lack of brightness or intensity, while glimmering refers to a faint or wavering light.
- 2Darkness is the absence of light, while glimmering implies the presence of some light.
- 3Obscureness refers to something that is unclear or hard to understand, while glimmering refers to a specific type of light.
Good things to know
- 1Describing Light: Use glimmering to describe a faint or wavering light, and use dullness to describe a lack of brightness or intensity.
- 2Describing Darkness: Use darkness to describe the absence of light.
- 3Describing Clarity: Use obscureness to describe something that is unclear or hard to understand.