What is the antonym of “glutting”?
The antonyms of glutting are abstain and fast. The antonyms abstain and fast convey the idea of refraining from eating or drinking excessively.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To refrain from doing something, especially something pleasurable or satisfying.
He decided to abstain from alcohol during the party.
To go without food or drink, often for religious or health reasons.
She decided to fast for a day to cleanse her body.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Abstain is a general term that describes refraining from doing something, while fast specifically refers to going without food or drink.
- 2Abstain can be used in a wider range of contexts, while fast is usually associated with religious or health reasons.
Good things to know
- 1Health and Fitness: Use abstain and fast to describe healthy habits and practices.
- 2Religion and Spirituality: Use fast to describe religious practices and observances.
- 3Diet and Nutrition: Use abstain to describe avoiding certain foods or drinks for dietary reasons.