What is the antonym of “grant”?
The antonyms of grant are deny and refuse. These words convey the opposite meaning of granting something, which is to withhold or reject it.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Refuse to give or allow something.
The bank may deny your loan application if you have a poor credit score.
Indicate that one is not willing to do something; reject an offer or request.
She had to refuse the job offer because it required her to relocate to another city.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Deny implies actively withholding or rejecting something that has been requested or expected.
- 2Refuse implies declining an offer or request due to personal reasons or preferences.
Good things to know
- 1Legal Documents: Use grant and deny in legal documents to indicate approval or rejection of requests.
- 2Negotiations: Use grant and refuse in negotiations to express agreement or disagreement with proposals.
- 3Everyday Conversations: Use these antonyms in everyday conversations to express agreement or disagreement with requests or offers.
The antonyms of grant are deny and refuse. Deny implies actively withholding or rejecting something, while refuse implies declining an offer or request due to personal reasons. These words can be used in legal documents, negotiations, and everyday conversations to express agreement or disagreement with requests or offers.