What is the antonym of “grasp”?
The antonyms of grasp are release, let go, and misunderstand. The antonyms release and let go refer to the act of freeing or relinquishing something, while misunderstand refers to a failure to comprehend or interpret something correctly.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To set free from confinement, captivity, or obligation.
He decided to release the bird from its cage and let it fly away.
She had to let go of the rope in order to avoid falling off the cliff.
To fail to understand or interpret something correctly.
He misunderstood her instructions and ended up doing the wrong thing.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Release implies freeing something from confinement or obligation, while let go implies releasing one's grip on something.
- 2Misunderstand refers to a failure to comprehend or interpret something correctly.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use release, let go, and misunderstand to express ideas more accurately.
- 2Improve Vocabulary: Incorporate these antonyms in your daily conversations to expand your vocabulary.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in your writing to create more precise descriptions and convey ideas more effectively.
The antonyms of grasp have distinct meanings: release and let go refer to freeing or relinquishing something, while misunderstand refers to a failure to comprehend or interpret something correctly. Use these words to enhance communication, improve vocabulary, and enrich writing by creating more precise descriptions and conveying ideas more effectively.