What is the antonym of “gratify”?
The antonyms of gratify are displease, frustrate, and disappoint. These words convey a sense of dissatisfaction or lack of fulfillment.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To cause someone to feel unhappy or dissatisfied.
The poor quality of the food displeased the customers.
To prevent someone from achieving their goals or desires; to cause feelings of disappointment or discouragement.
The traffic jam frustrated him and made him late for his appointment.
To fail to meet someone's expectations or hopes; to cause feelings of sadness or regret.
The cancellation of the concert disappointed her, as she had been looking forward to it for months.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Displease implies causing annoyance or irritation.
- 2Frustrate suggests preventing someone from achieving their goals or desires.
- 3Disappoint conveys a sense of failing to meet expectations or hopes.
Good things to know
- 1Expressing Dissatisfaction: Use displease, frustrate, and disappoint to express dissatisfaction or disappointment.
- 2Giving Feedback: Incorporate these antonyms in feedback to provide constructive criticism.
- 3Writing Reviews: Utilize these antonyms in writing reviews to express opinions effectively.
The antonyms of gratify are displease, frustrate, and disappoint. These words convey a sense of dissatisfaction or lack of fulfillment. Use them to express dissatisfaction, provide feedback, and write reviews effectively.