What is the antonym of “greed”?
The antonyms of greed are generosity and selflessness. The antonyms generosity and selflessness convey a positive or altruistic trait. It implies a willingness to give, share, or sacrifice for the benefit of others.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The quality of being kind, giving, and willing to help others.
Her generosity knew no bounds; she always went out of her way to help those in need.
The quality of putting the needs and interests of others before one's own.
His selflessness was evident when he donated his entire salary to charity.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Generosity is a positive trait that describes a person's willingness to give and help others without expecting anything in return.
- 2Selflessness is a complementary trait that describes a person's ability to put others' needs and interests before their own.
Good things to know
- 1Encourage Positive Behavior: Use generosity and selflessness to inspire people to be kind and helpful to others.
- 2Express Gratitude: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to show appreciation for someone's kindness or selflessness.
- 3Promote Altruism: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create characters who exhibit positive traits and inspire readers to be more generous and selfless.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Generosity conveys a willingness to give and help others, while selflessness describes a person's ability to put others' needs before their own. Use these words to encourage positive behavior, express gratitude, and promote altruism by creating characters who exhibit positive traits and inspire readers to be more generous and selfless.