What is the antonym of “gregariously”?
The antonym of gregariously is unsociably, unfriendlily, and reservedly. The antonyms unsociably, unfriendlily, and reservedly convey a negative or unfriendly social behavior. It implies a lack of sociability, friendliness, or openness.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not inclined to associate with others; not sociable.
He was always sitting alone in the cafeteria, looking unsociably at his phone.
Behaving in an unfriendly or hostile manner towards others.
She greeted her new neighbors unfriendlily, which made them feel unwelcome.
In a manner that shows reluctance to reveal one's thoughts or feelings.
He answered the interviewer's questions reservedly, as he didn't want to disclose too much personal information.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unsociably describes a person who is not inclined to associate with others, while gregariously describes someone who enjoys being in the company of others.
- 2Unfriendlily describes a person who behaves in an unfriendly or hostile manner towards others, while gregariously describes someone who is friendly and outgoing.
- 3Reservedly describes a person who shows reluctance to reveal their thoughts or feelings, while gregariously describes someone who is open and sociable.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use these antonyms to describe different social behaviors effectively.
- 2Show Empathy: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate understanding of different personalities.
- 3Enrich Vocabulary: Utilize these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and express yourself more precisely.