Definitions and Examples of double, increase, multiply
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To multiply by two; to make twice as much in quantity, size, or value.
She decided to double the recipe to have enough food for everyone.
To make something larger in quantity, size, or value.
The company plans to increase its profits by launching new products.
To increase in number or quantity by reproducing or adding.
He wants to multiply his savings by investing in stocks.
Key Differences: double vs increase vs multiply
- 1Double means to make something twice as much, while increase means to make something larger in quantity, size, or value.
- 2Multiply implies an increase in number or quantity by reproducing or adding, while halve means to reduce something by half.
Effective Usage of double, increase, multiply
- 1Mathematics: Use double and multiply when solving mathematical problems that involve multiplication.
- 2Business: Use increase to describe growth in sales, profits, or market share.
- 3Cooking: Use double to adjust the quantity of ingredients in a recipe.
The antonyms of halve are double, increase, and multiply. These words convey the opposite meaning of reducing something by half and imply an increase in quantity, size, or value. Use them in mathematics, business, cooking, and other contexts where the concept of increase is relevant.