What is the antonym of “happen”?
The antonyms of happen are cease and stop. The antonyms cease and stop convey the idea of something coming to an end or being terminated.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To bring or come to an end; stop.
The rain ceased just as we were about to leave.
To come to an end; halt.
Please stop talking and listen to me for a moment.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Cease implies a gradual or deliberate ending, while stop suggests an abrupt or sudden termination.
- 2Cease is often used in formal or legal contexts, while stop is more commonly used in everyday speech.
Good things to know
- 1In Formal Writing: Use cease instead of stop in legal or formal documents.
- 2In Everyday Speech: Use stop when speaking informally or in casual conversations.
- 3In News Reports: Use cease to describe the ending of a conflict or ceasefire agreement.
The antonyms cease and stop both convey the idea of something coming to an end or being terminated. However, cease implies a gradual or deliberate ending, while stop suggests an abrupt or sudden termination. Use cease in formal or legal contexts and stop in everyday speech or casual conversations.