What is the antonym of “hardening”?
The antonyms of hardening are softening and weakening. The antonyms softening and weakening convey a reduction in strength, intensity, or hardness. They imply a decrease in the level of firmness or solidity.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The process of becoming less hard or firm; the act of making something softer.
The softening of the butter made it easier to spread on the bread.
The process of becoming less strong or intense; the act of making something weaker.
The weakening of the economy led to a rise in unemployment.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Softening refers to the process of becoming less hard or firm, while weakening refers to the process of becoming less strong or intense.
- 2Softening can be used for both physical and emotional states, while weakening is mostly used for physical states.
Good things to know
- 1Physical Properties: Use softening and weakening to describe changes in the physical properties of objects.
- 2Emotional States: Use softening to describe a reduction in emotional intensity or hardness.
- 3Strength and Intensity: Use weakening to describe a reduction in the strength or intensity of something.
The antonyms of hardening are softening and weakening. Softening refers to the process of becoming less hard or firm, while weakening refers to the process of becoming less strong or intense. Use these words to describe changes in physical properties, emotional states, and strength or intensity.