What is the antonym of “harshness”?
The antonyms of harshness are gentleness, mildness, and softness. These words convey the opposite meaning of harshness, which is a quality of being rough, severe, or unkind.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The quality of being kind, tender, or mild in temperament or behavior.
She spoke with gentleness and compassion, trying to soothe her friend's worries.
The quality of being gentle, moderate, or not harsh.
The mildness of the weather made it perfect for outdoor activities.
The quality of being smooth, delicate, or not hard.
The softness of the fabric made the dress comfortable to wear.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Gentleness implies kindness and tenderness, while harshness implies roughness and severity.
- 2Mildness suggests moderation and not being extreme, while harshness suggests being strict and unyielding.
- 3Softness implies smoothness and delicacy, while harshness implies coarseness and roughness.
Good things to know
- 1Relationships: Use gentleness to show affection and care towards loved ones.
- 2Weather: Use mildness to describe pleasant weather conditions.
- 3Textures: Use softness to describe the feel of fabrics, skin, or other surfaces.
The antonyms of harshness are gentleness, mildness, and softness. These words convey the opposite meaning of harshness, which is a quality of being rough, severe, or unkind. Use these words to describe relationships, weather, textures, and more.