What is the antonym of “heavenly”?
The antonyms of heavenly are hellish, infernal, and demonic. These antonyms convey a negative or unpleasant state, opposite to the blissful and divine connotations of heavenly.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Relating to or resembling hell; extremely unpleasant or torturous.
The heat in the desert was so intense that it felt like a hellish inferno.
Relating to hell or the underworld; extremely unpleasant or annoying.
The constant buzzing of the mosquito was driving him crazy, it was an infernal sound.
Relating to or characteristic of demons or evil spirits; extremely evil or cruel.
The villain in the movie had a demonic laugh that sent shivers down the audience's spine.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Hellish describes something that is extremely unpleasant or torturous, often with a fiery or infernal connotation.
- 2Infernal describes something that is extremely unpleasant or annoying, often with a connotation of being relentless or never-ending.
- 3Demonic describes something that is extremely evil or cruel, often with a supernatural or malevolent connotation.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Writing: Use these antonyms to create vivid descriptions and contrast in your writing.
- 2Enrich Vocabulary: Learn and use these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and express yourself more accurately.
- 3Cultural Understanding: Understand the cultural and religious significance of these words in different contexts and belief systems.
The antonyms of heavenly are hellish, infernal, and demonic. These antonyms describe unpleasant, torturous, and evil states, opposite to the blissful and divine connotations of heavenly. Use these words to enhance your writing, enrich your vocabulary, and understand different cultural and religious contexts.