What is the antonym of “hoard”?
The antonyms of hoard are lack and scarcity. The antonyms lack and scarcity convey a state of insufficiency or shortage, implying a deficiency or absence of something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The state of being without or not having enough of something.
The lack of resources hindered the company's growth.
The state of being in short supply; a shortage or insufficiency of something.
The scarcity of water in the region led to conflicts among neighboring communities.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Lack refers to the absence or insufficiency of something that is needed or desired.
- 2Scarcity refers to a shortage or insufficiency of something that is necessary or valuable.
- 3Hoard refers to the act of accumulating or storing a large quantity of something.
Good things to know
- 1Business: Use lack and scarcity to describe shortages or insufficiencies in resources, products, or services.
- 2Economics: Incorporate these antonyms to explain the concepts of supply and demand, scarcity, and allocation of resources.
- 3Environmental Issues: Utilize these antonyms to discuss the depletion of natural resources, pollution, and climate change.