What is the antonym of “hoist”?
The antonyms of hoist are lower, drop, and bring down. The antonyms convey the opposite meaning of lifting or raising something to a higher position.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Move something downwards to a lower level or position.
He had to lower the volume of the music as it was too loud for his neighbors.
Let or make something fall vertically.
She accidentally dropped her phone on the floor and cracked the screen.
Cause something to move from a higher to a lower position.
The strong winds threatened to bring down the trees in the park.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Lower is a general term that describes moving something downwards to a lower level or position.
- 2Drop is a more specific term that denotes letting or making something fall vertically.
- 3Bring down is a relational term that implies causing something to move from a higher to a lower position.
Good things to know
- 1Construction: Use hoist to lift heavy objects, and lower to bring them down safely.
- 2Transportation: Use hoist to load cargo onto a truck, and drop to unload it.
- 3Sports: Use hoist to lift weights, and bring down to lower them.
The antonyms of hoist are lower, drop, and bring down. These words have distinct nuances: Lower is a general term, drop is more specific, and bring down is relational. Use these words in construction, transportation, sports, and other contexts where lifting and lowering objects are involved.