What is the antonym of “homey”?
The antonyms of homey are unwelcoming, unfriendly, and cold. These words describe places or people that do not provide a warm, comfortable, or inviting atmosphere.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not providing a friendly or hospitable atmosphere.
The hotel staff was unwelcoming and made us feel like we were bothering them.
Not showing kindness or warmth; hostile or indifferent.
The new neighbor was unfriendly and never greeted us when we passed by.
Lacking in warmth or affection; unfriendly or distant.
The boss's cold demeanor made it hard for employees to approach him with their concerns.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unwelcoming describes a place that does not provide a friendly or hospitable atmosphere.
- 2Unfriendly describes a person who is not kind or warm and may be hostile or indifferent.
- 3Cold describes a person or place that lacks warmth or affection and may be unfriendly or distant.
Good things to know
- 1Describing Places: Use these antonyms to describe places that are not welcoming or comfortable.
- 2Describing People: Use these antonyms to describe people who are not friendly or approachable.
- 3Comparing and Contrasting: Use these antonyms to compare and contrast different atmospheres or personalities.
The antonyms of homey describe places or people that are not warm, comfortable, or inviting. Unwelcoming describes a place, unfriendly describes a person, and cold describes both. Use these words to describe places and people, compare and contrast different atmospheres or personalities.