What is the antonym of “humbleness”?
The antonyms of humbleness are arrogance, pride, and conceit. These words convey a sense of superiority or self-importance, which is the opposite of being humble.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
An attitude of superiority or self-importance, often accompanied by an overestimation of one's abilities.
His arrogance made it hard for him to make friends.
A feeling of satisfaction or pleasure in one's achievements, qualities, or possessions.
She felt a sense of pride after completing her first marathon.
Excessive pride in oneself, often accompanied by an overestimation of one's abilities.
His conceit made it hard for him to accept criticism.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Arrogance implies a sense of superiority over others, while pride and conceit refer to an excessive sense of self-importance.
- 2Pride can have positive connotations when it refers to a healthy sense of satisfaction in one's achievements, while arrogance and conceit are generally negative.
- 3Conceit implies an overestimation of one's abilities or qualities, while arrogance and pride do not necessarily involve this aspect.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and express yourself more precisely.
- 2Improve Relationships: Being humble can help build better relationships with others, while arrogance, pride, and conceit can create conflicts and distance.
- 3Develop Self-Awareness: Reflect on your own attitudes and behaviors to cultivate humility and avoid arrogance, pride, and conceit.
The antonyms of humbleness are arrogance, pride, and conceit. While arrogance implies superiority over others, pride and conceit refer to excessive self-importance. Use these words to enhance your vocabulary, improve relationships, and develop self-awareness.