What is the antonym of “humor”?
The antonyms of humor are seriousness and solemnity. The antonyms seriousness and solemnity convey a lack of humor or lightheartedness. They imply a more formal, grave, or somber tone.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The quality or state of being serious; not joking or frivolous.
The topic of the meeting was of great seriousness, and everyone paid close attention.
The state or quality of being solemn; characterized by deep sincerity or gravity.
The funeral service was conducted with great solemnity, and everyone was deeply moved.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Seriousness implies a lack of humor or frivolity, while humor conveys a lighthearted or amusing tone.
- 2Solemnity suggests a more formal, grave, or somber tone, while humor is often associated with laughter and enjoyment.
Good things to know
- 1Formal Settings: Use seriousness and solemnity in formal settings such as meetings, ceremonies, or funerals.
- 2Humorous Contexts: Use humor to lighten the mood and add a touch of levity to conversations or situations.
- 3Tone Setting: Incorporate these antonyms to set the tone of a conversation, speech, or written work.