What is the antonym of “hyperbolic”?
The antonyms of hyperbolic are understated, reserved, and moderate. These words convey the opposite meaning of hyperbolic, which means exaggerated or over-the-top.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Presented or expressed in a subtle or restrained way; not excessive or obvious.
Her dress was elegant and understated, with no flashy accessories.
Restrained or uncommunicative in speech or behavior; not showing one's feelings or thoughts readily.
He was reserved and didn't like to talk about his personal life.
Average in amount, intensity, quality, or degree; not extreme or excessive.
She had a moderate interest in sports and liked to watch them occasionally.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Understated refers to something that is presented in a subtle or restrained way, while hyperbolic is exaggerated or over-the-top.
- 2Reserved describes someone who is uncommunicative or doesn't show their feelings, while hyperbolic describes someone who exaggerates or overstates their feelings.
- 3Moderate means average or not extreme, while hyperbolic means exaggerated or excessive.
Good things to know
- 1Writing: Use understated language to create a more sophisticated tone in your writing.
- 2Socializing: Be reserved in certain situations to avoid offending others or coming across as too aggressive.
- 3Debating: Use moderate language to present your arguments in a clear and concise manner without being too extreme.