What is the antonym of “idealization”?
The antonyms of idealization are realism and pragmatism. Idealization refers to the act of representing something as perfect or ideal, while realism and pragmatism refer to a practical and realistic approach to situations.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The attitude or practice of accepting a situation as it is and being prepared to deal with it accordingly.
He approached the problem with realism, knowing that there was no easy solution.
A practical approach to problems and affairs, often characterized by a focus on the immediate and practical consequences of actions.
Her pragmatism allowed her to make tough decisions quickly and effectively.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Realism is the acceptance of a situation as it is, while idealization is the representation of something as perfect or ideal.
- 2Pragmatism is a practical approach to problems, while idealization is an unrealistic representation of something.
Good things to know
- 1In Art: Use idealization to create idealized versions of people or objects, and realism to depict things as they really are.
- 2In Business: Incorporate pragmatism to make practical decisions that benefit the company in the short and long term.
- 3In Relationships: Practice realism to accept your partner's flaws and work through challenges together.