What is the antonym of “immerse”?
The antonyms of immerse are withdraw, disengage, and detach. These words convey the opposite meaning of being fully involved or absorbed in something. They imply a state of separation or disconnection.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To remove oneself from a situation or activity; to retreat or pull back.
He decided to withdraw from the competition due to personal reasons.
To release or detach oneself from something; to stop being involved or connected.
She had to disengage from social media to focus on her studies.
To separate or disconnect oneself from something; to remove oneself emotionally or mentally.
He had to detach himself from the negative comments and focus on the positive feedback.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Withdraw implies a physical removal from a situation or activity.
- 2Disengage suggests a mental or emotional detachment from something.
- 3Detach conveys a sense of separation or disconnection, either physically or emotionally.
Good things to know
- 1Conflict Resolution: Use these antonyms to express the need for space or time to resolve conflicts.
- 2Self-Care: Incorporate these antonyms in conversations to communicate the importance of taking breaks and setting boundaries.
- 3Academic Writing: Utilize these antonyms in essays or research papers to convey opposing viewpoints or arguments.