What is the antonym of “impart”?
The antonyms of impart are withhold, keep, and retain. These words convey the opposite meaning of imparting or giving something to someone.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To refuse to give or grant something that is due or desired.
The company decided to withhold bonuses this year due to financial constraints.
To have or retain possession of something.
She decided to keep the book instead of returning it to the library.
To continue to hold or keep something.
The athlete was able to retain his title for the third consecutive year.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Withhold implies a deliberate refusal to give or grant something that is due or desired.
- 2Keep refers to having or retaining possession of something.
- 3Retain means to continue to hold or keep something.
Good things to know
- 1Business Communication: Use withhold to indicate the refusal to provide information or services.
- 2Ownership: Use keep to indicate possession or ownership of something.
- 3Memory: Use retain to indicate the ability to remember something.