What is the antonym of “implement”?
The antonyms of implement are abandon and halt. The antonym abandon means to give up on something, while halt means to stop or bring to a standstill.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To give up on something; to cease to support or continue doing something.
The company had to abandon the project due to lack of funding.
To stop or bring to a standstill; to cause to cease moving or operating.
The construction work had to halt due to heavy rain.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Abandon implies giving up on something completely, while halt means to temporarily stop or bring to a standstill.
- 2Abandon is often used in situations where there is no hope of continuing, while halt can be used in situations where there is a possibility of resuming later.
- 3Abandon is more final than halt, which suggests a temporary pause.
Good things to know
- 1Business: Use abandon to describe discontinuing a project or venture.
- 2Transportation: Use halt to describe stopping a vehicle or train.
- 3Manufacturing: Use implement to describe putting a plan or strategy into action.
The antonyms of implement are abandon and halt. Abandon implies giving up on something completely, while halt means to temporarily stop or bring to a standstill. Use these words in different contexts to convey the appropriate meaning.