What is the antonym of “improve”?
The antonyms of improve are worsen, deteriorate, and impair. These antonyms convey the opposite meaning of making something better or enhancing its quality.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To become or make something less good or desirable.
The weather forecast predicts that the situation will worsen in the coming days.
To become or make something worse in quality or condition over time.
If you don't take care of your car, it will deteriorate quickly.
To weaken or damage something, especially a person's ability or health.
Drinking alcohol can impair your judgment and reaction time.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Worsen is a general term that describes the decline in the quality or desirability of something.
- 2Deteriorate is a more specific term that describes the gradual decline in the quality or condition of something over time.
- 3Impair is a term that describes the weakening or damaging of something, especially a person's ability or health.
Good things to know
- 1Express Concern: Use these antonyms to express concern about a situation or condition.
- 2Provide Feedback: Use these antonyms to provide feedback on performance or quality.
- 3Discuss Consequences: Use these antonyms to discuss the potential negative consequences of actions or decisions.
The antonyms of improve are worsen, deteriorate, and impair. Use these words to express concern, provide feedback, and discuss the potential negative consequences of actions or decisions.