What is the antonym of “impulsivity”?
The antonyms of impulsivity are deliberation and caution. The antonyms deliberation and caution convey a sense of thoughtfulness and carefulness. It implies a lack of impulsiveness or recklessness.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The act of carefully considering or discussing something before making a decision.
After much deliberation, the committee decided to postpone the project until next year.
Careful forethought to avoid danger or harm.
He approached the edge of the cliff with caution, knowing that one wrong step could be fatal.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Deliberation is the act of carefully considering something before making a decision, while impulsivity is the tendency to act without thinking.
- 2Caution is the careful forethought to avoid danger or harm, while impulsivity is the tendency to act recklessly without considering the consequences.
Good things to know
- 1Decision Making: Use deliberation to describe the process of carefully considering options before making a decision.
- 2Risk Assessment: Use caution to describe the careful consideration of potential risks before taking action.
- 3Self-Improvement: Use these antonyms to reflect on personal tendencies and improve decision-making skills.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Deliberation conveys careful consideration before making a decision, while caution implies careful forethought to avoid danger or harm. Use these words to describe decision-making processes, risk assessment, and self-improvement.