What is the antonym of “impunity”?
The antonym of impunity is accountability, responsibility, and liability. The antonyms accountability, responsibility, and liability convey a sense of obligation or duty to accept the consequences of one's actions. It implies that one is answerable for their behavior or decisions.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The state of being responsible or answerable for one's actions or decisions.
As a public official, he had to accept accountability for his department's mistakes.
The state of being accountable or in charge of something; the duty to take care of or make decisions about something.
As a parent, it's his responsibility to provide for his children and ensure their well-being.
The state of being legally responsible for something, especially for paying debts or damages.
If you don't pay your bills on time, you may become a liability to your creditors.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Accountability refers to the state of being answerable for one's actions or decisions.
- 2Responsibility refers to the state of being in charge of something or having the duty to take care of it.
- 3Liability refers to the state of being legally responsible for something, especially for paying debts or damages.
Good things to know
- 1Legal Matters: Use accountability, responsibility, and liability in legal contexts to describe legal obligations and consequences.
- 2Workplace Communication: Incorporate these antonyms in workplace conversations to discuss job roles and responsibilities.
- 3Personal Development: Use these words to reflect on one's actions and decisions and take ownership of them.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Accountability refers to being answerable, responsibility refers to being in charge, and liability refers to being legally responsible. Use these words in legal matters, workplace communication, and personal development to take ownership of one's actions and decisions.