What is the antonym of “individualistic”?
The antonym of individualistic are collectivist, communal, and social. These antonyms describe a person's tendency to prioritize their own interests versus the interests of the group or community.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Relating to or advocating for a social system in which individuals work together for the common good.
In collectivist societies, people prioritize the needs of the group over their individual desires.
Relating to or involving a shared community; characterized by sharing and participation in common activities.
The communal garden was a space where neighbors could come together and grow vegetables.
Relating to human society and its organization; designed to be sociable or friendly.
She enjoyed attending social events and meeting new people.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Collectivist emphasizes the importance of working together for the common good.
- 2Communal describes a sense of community and shared participation.
- 3Social refers to human society and its organization, and is often used to describe friendly or outgoing behavior.
Good things to know
- 1Cultural Understanding: Use these antonyms to understand cultural differences in values and beliefs.
- 2Social Commentary: Incorporate these antonyms in discussions about societal structures and norms.
- 3Personal Development: Reflect on your own tendencies towards individualism or collectivism to better understand your values and priorities.
The antonyms of individualistic are collectivist, communal, and social. These words describe a person's tendency to prioritize their own interests versus the interests of the group or community. Use these antonyms to gain cultural understanding, engage in social commentary, and reflect on personal values and priorities.