What is the antonym of “inextensible”?
The antonym of inextensible is extensible, elastic, and flexible. These antonyms describe the ability of an object to stretch or expand under tension.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Capable of being extended, stretched, or expanded.
The rubber band was extensible and could be stretched to twice its original length.
Capable of returning to its original shape or size after being stretched or compressed.
The waistband of his pants was elastic and could stretch to fit his waist comfortably.
Capable of bending easily without breaking.
The tree branch was flexible and could bend in the wind without snapping.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Extensible refers to the ability of an object to be stretched or expanded.
- 2Elastic refers to the ability of an object to return to its original shape or size after being stretched or compressed.
- 3Flexible refers to the ability of an object to bend easily without breaking.
Good things to know
- 1Science and Engineering: Use these antonyms to describe the properties of materials such as rubber, metal, and plastic.
- 2Fitness and Health: Incorporate these antonyms in discussions about stretching exercises and physical therapy.
- 3Art and Design: Utilize these antonyms to describe the properties of fabrics, paper, and other materials used in art and design.