What is the antonym of “inextinguishable”?
The antonym of inextinguishable are extinguishable, containable, and quenchable. These antonyms describe the ability to put out or control a fire, emotion, or situation.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Capable of being put out or extinguished.
The fire was small and extinguishable with a fire extinguisher.
Able to be controlled or kept within limits.
The virus outbreak was containable with proper quarantine measures.
Able to be satisfied or quenched.
Her thirst was quenchable with a glass of water.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Extinguishable describes something that can be put out, like a fire.
- 2Containable describes something that can be controlled or kept within limits, like a virus outbreak.
- 3Quenchable describes something that can be satisfied or quenched, like thirst.
Good things to know
- 1Fire Safety: Use extinguishable to describe materials that can be put out with water or fire extinguishers.
- 2Healthcare: Use containable to describe diseases that can be controlled with proper quarantine measures.
- 3Thirst: Use quenchable to describe thirst that can be satisfied with water or other drinks.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Extinguishable describes something that can be put out, containable describes something that can be controlled, and quenchable describes something that can be satisfied. Use these words in different contexts such as fire safety, healthcare, and thirst to convey the intended meaning accurately.